Saturday, July 30, 2011

Potaoes in mustard gravy..............with a twist!

Actually the title in Hindi would have sounded better - rassedaar aloo - twist mar ke !

Mustard gravy was usually made as base curry for fish or okra in my younger days. And I feared making  any dish that called for mustard gravy. Why?.......because I hadn't made it enough times to be confident about it.  I had been in this deadlock for so many years !!! But now no more.  A couple of years ago, when my mom was visiting me I finally paid close ..........reeeeally close attention to the whole process.  The twist comes from my mommy dear - a wee bit of sambhar powder makes each and every flavor pop in this gravy. Really it does..! This curry is so versatile - you can make it with potatoes, fish, okra, eggplant, asparagus.......yes that too!! 
Read more »

3 comments:

Priya Sreeram said...

looks nice; mustard based gravy for potatoes must have tasted yum !

CinnamonNChillies said...

Wow..what a great idea for a gravy. The twist of sambhar powder seems fantastic. Going to try it soon with either okra or aloo. Bookmarked!!

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

Hey dear first time here.....u hv a bful blog with yummy recipes..
Anyways would love to hear a word from u too...
this looks delicious..any leftovers pls.?..Yummo
Following u..
Sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/